Thursday, October 05, 2006

So I was casually reading this story about another Season 3 Project Runway scandal, and came across this:
"For his part, Sebelia has lashed out at the allegations--and those who reported on them--in a posting to his MySpace page, after a commenter brought up the rumors.

"Thanks for your concern," Sebelia wrote. "But all I have to say is be careful of what you read and also of what is presented in the press."

MySpace is now a credible replacement for an actual interview? Heck, MySpace actually being considered a serious and credible source for anything is strange to me. This is not remediation here, this is just silly. I tried to find his MySpace (yes, I have a MySpace account) and this post, and while I found a MySpace page for someone claiming to be Jeffrey, the quote from the article was not there. However, I found a bunch of other designers' MySpace pages, including last season's oddball designer, Santino Rice. I couldn't help but wonder if these MySpace pages were indeed legitimate, or perhaps another Lonelygirl15 or Marshall McLuhan gag. There were usually tons of posts from other users on each of the designers' blogs. This makes me think back to the statement the people behind Lonelygirl15 made after being found out about working towards removing "the line between 'fan' and 'star'". While they didn't exactly phrase it in the most coherent way, they seem to be talking about giving the fan more access to the star, which is exactly what these MySpace profiles for the Project Runway designers are doing. Fans leave messages of encouragement on current contestants' MySpace comment sections, and to former contestants fans leave comments as if they were old friends. For example, on Santino's MySpace a fan posted a comment that read "Hello Santino, I hope everything is going well. You are my favorite designer. Keep me updated with any events or things that come up okay? hugggz good luck to you =)". Perhaps without even realizing it, MySpace and the Project Runway designers are also achieving the goals of the LonelyGirl15 team with their use of YouTube.

Back to the MySpace quoting, has MySpace remediated the interview process? Interviews can be influenced by the presence of the interviewer, not to mention there's the hassle of getting the interview in the first place. A reporter can get commentary from the people involved within seconds of news breaking just by checking MySpace. Of course, this brings up an issue of credibility. I could not find the commentary on the MySpace page of Jeffrey Sebelia, and how do I know if that was the actual Jeffrey or someone pretending to be him or perhaps it was the ghost of Marshal McLuhan. So what does this mean? Are these reporters barking up the wrong info source or is this the middle of remediation? Does it take a while to refine a remediation? Bolter and Grusin have yet to talk about this in what I've read of the book. They do, however, make it sound like it's a sudden process, but that seems a little too magical for me. I guess we can only wait and see if the face-to-face interview (or phone-to-phone or even e-mail to e-mail) will be remediated by statements in online forums on the web.

No comments: